Sunday, October 27, 2013

Ribéry: "If I win the Ballon d'Or, it will be for Bayern"


Franck Ribéry may have the face of a film villain, but he is really a very friendly guy when you get to know him. His small stature and his little legs, which seem to make him fly rather than run, are another surprising aspect. The famous scar on his face – which he got in a traffic accident at the age of two – is something that has propelled him forward, overcoming adversity to get where he is today.

Q: Let's get straight to the point. Many people believe you will win the Ballon d'Or award. Would you feel aggrieved if it went to someone else?
A: Of course I want to win it! I would like to get it because of all the work in my career, coming through the bad times and because I think I'm at my peak. If I win it, it will be a victory for my family, my wife and for Bayern. For our great year.

Q: What would you put your recent form down to?
A: I've learnt to look after myself and recover after playing. You have to be very professional at the age of 30 to be in shape and improve every day.

Q: Is it true that you could have signed for Real Madrid a few years ago?
A: (Laughs). I'm happy now and enjoying playing well. The past is the past. In fact, I hope to finish my career at Bayern (Ribéry is now in his seventh season with Munich).

Q: Can you understand why your teammate Karim Benzema has been widely criticised in your country and at Real?
A: It's true that Karim has been having a hard time. But he has scored in France's last two games and I think this has given him more confidence. I think he has overcome his difficulties.

No comments: